Sunday, November 1, 2009

This Is It

I saw the film yesterday and first and foremost there is absolutely no reason why Michael Jackson is not alive today. From the footage I saw he was robust, completely in charge, friendly, gracious, generous, happy, funny and definitely in his element. His dance moves were stellar and his voice sounded strong and experienced. Watching him "do what he do" and do it so well was uplifting and inspiring but it also left me sad even though I could've sat in the theatre all night and watched him.

Michael's moves also reaffirmed to me that the man had soul - oodles and boodles of it. I'm talking about eating BBQ in the backyard, playing spades, and listening to James Brown type of soul.

I was mesmerized from beginning to end. Kenny Ortega did a stupendous job of conveying the magic that is Michael. The tour, that sadly was never meant to come to fruition would have been an "event." Words cannot describe the vision that unfolded before me on that screen. When Mike sang "Earth Song" it was all I could do to not fling myself down the aisles of the theatre. That would not have been a good look and besides it wasn't about me, it was (and still is) about Michael.

I was hoping that the movie would bring me some sense of closure; but it has not. I'm still so sad and in a state of disbelief. Hearing him referred to in past tense sounds so utterly foreign to me. It's akin to hearing another language and not understanding what you're hearing. But he is gone. Forever. And I pray that he has finally found the sleep that evaded him for so long.

Rest well, King of Pop. You will always have a special place in my heart.

No comments: