Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Life really is short

Yesterday, (12/16) was harrowing for me. I woke up fine at first, then while I was in the shower I started having a severe headache on the right side of my head (No, it's not a tumor!). Anywho, I managed to finish and dry off but I was still feeling just horrible. I took an Aleve and started becoming alarmed when the pain seemed to get worse. So, I did what any normal person would do; I got on the phone and started calling folks. But check this out: Everybody that I called (mind you this was a little before 8 a.m.) all of the calls went to VM.
I called my doctor (the advice nurse wasn't in). I called both bosses (calls went to VM). I called my sister (yeah...VM), I called my doctor again (the advice nurse still wasn't in and NO I didn't want to leave a message). Called my sister again, (VM!!). I called another friend (VM). By now, I was sad and scared so I called 911. Didn't want to but what else could I do??? By now I was in tears but the EMTs arrived in about 5 minutes - all 4 of them. My blood pressure was checked and it was good. They told me that they'd take me to emergency but they couldn't take me to my Dr. I opted to not go to emergency because you and I both know that unless you're bleeding or you're holding your entrails in a paper bag, you won't be seen for hours.
Anywho...I drove myself to the Dr., received a shot for the pain and rested in the examining room for about an hour. I felt a lot better physically, but was still sad because I couldn't reach anybody. The Dr. also suggested that I get a CT scan - which I did later than afternoon. And I drove myself to that appointment as well.
I finally heard from one of my bosses - he offered to take me to the Dr., but he lives too far away and he did check on me later that afternoon. But check it out, I still haven't heard from my sister since we last spoke at 11:45 a.m. yesterday afternoon. Now, ain't that some shit? Oh well, what can I say? I guess I wasn't a priority.
Just wanted to say that when the chips are down, that's when you know who's really in your corner.
And that's what's up.
BTW, I'm feeling a lot better.
Peace and hair grease, ya'll. And remember, be available for the ones who need you. Because life is short and you just never know.

4 comments:

Fabric Fanatic said...

Yeah that's effed up, but it does let you know where you are in the grand scheme of things and you can proceed accordingly. I moved back here to Sacramento after living out of the country, then out of state for some years. My girls came to visit me wherever, I paid the cost of long distance calls for the most part, and I had talked myself into believing that when I moved back here I could just pick up where we left off. Nuh uh. Not happenin'.

After realizing that while I was off having my life, they too were having theirs and it didn't include me to the degree that it had in the past. That was hurtful; still is. But someone told me that some people are in our lives for a reason, or for a season, and some forever. I guess these were not the forever variety.

Hang in there. Hope you feel better soon.

Biddie said...

We love you momma. I will let you advise everyone how things ended up regarding the headache...and yes life IS really short.Acknowlege his name in all things...good and bad

yoursinger2 said...

Where are you? I have heard from you for the past 25yrs or so, either before Christmas, on Christmas or the day after. I haven't heard from you. This is my A.P.B. looking for you...Call me.

yoursinger2 said...

The word for today, this last day of 2008 is "Blessed." We are all so richly blessed! It doesn't really matter what else is going on. If you can read this, you are blessed, if you can see this, you are blessed. I received a voicemail from Robin at 5:30am eastern time, which was 2:30 CA time. She wished me a happy new year and then she sang a glorius chorus of "Happy New Year Toni" (to the tune of Stevie's version of Happy Birthday)Yes, it was glorius! To hear her, to hear her voice. In her song I heard strength, I heard power, I heard life, I heard love.

Robin, all who know and love you are amazed at your strength and the gift of life, your life God has blessed us with.

As Patti LaBelle so aptly sang, "When you've been blessed, feels like heaven, heaven."

Happy New Year Robin! You are and have been a blessing to me. Thank you for being there all those years.

Love,
Your homegirl, your sista, your singer, your friend.

Toni